Monday, February 28, 2011

Dear Scott, 28 February 2011

We are loved.  These are Valentines from Andy & Beth, the Tulett's, Rubie, Eric, Scott, and Grandma Jeppson.
Dear Scott,

I wish I had a good report to give you about my weekend ride, but I don't.  I'm feeling very disappointed in myself.  The weather report was for really bad weather all over the state on Saturday.  The forecast called for 90% rain and a high of 35 degrees in St. George.  My mom tried to talk me out of going, but I was determined that you can't back out based on the conditions until you are right there.  So I still took the kids up to mom and dad's and John and I still went to St. George knowing that we may not ride based on the weather.  I didn't really have a great feeling about leaving the kids at my parents just because my mom ended up having her knee scoped, her meniscus needing repairing, that very day, on Thursday.  But Jared and Chantel were in town and Chantel offered to help with the kids on Friday.  So that put me a little more at ease.  Anyway, I took the kids up to my parents on Thursday, we all spent the night there.  Then I came back Friday morning, got myself ready to go and John and his son Jyson picked me up at 1:00.  I didn't get away from my mom's until 10:00 even though I planned on leaving at 8:00.  It was so hard to leave her with the kids.  She needed to rest and the kids always need so much.  Of course she assured me it would be fine.  The weather was great driving down to St. George.  Just a little cloudy and cool.  That would have been the day to ride.  The website for the bike ride said that no matter the weather the ride would go on.  John and Jyson dropped me off at my grandma's house and they went to stay in St. George at a hotel where Michelle, John's wife had been for a few days for a work conference.  Only Grandma was home when I got there but soon Aunt Wan, CJ, Mar, Tess, Jody (one of CJ's friends) and later Sarah all showed up at Grandma's.  It was quite a party.  When I got up in the morning at 5:45 there was pouring rain and wind.  And it was cold.  John and I decided to wait until 7:00am to see if it let up a bit before we decided to ride or not.  It only got worse so we decided not to ride.  At the time I felt fine about that.  I did not feel like going out in the rain and getting on my bike and being drenched immediately and through the whole ride.  I wondered how many other people would actually show up and ride.  After the other ladies in the house got up we made a great breakfast and decided to go into Zion to "chase waterfalls".  CJ says that during rainstorm there are so many cool waterfalls to see.  By 10:00 when we left the house I was really feeling guilty for not being out on the ride.  But the rain had turned to snow.  As we drove up the rode to Zion I was totally surprised at how many cyclists we saw.  I really felt disappointed that I was not out there.  But there was also a part of me that was relieved.  The cyclists looked absolutely miserable.  Many had plastic bags on their hands, feet, and heads.  Some were dressed for the weather and of course some were not.  No one was riding together to help get threw the rough weather.  Some I'm sure finished the 100 miles, but we saw many ending their ride at the mouth of Zion.  I thought why couldn't I have at least committed to ride the 30 mile option.  But I was having fun with the girls.  It was amazing to see Zion canyon in those conditions.  The misty clouds were hanging low and a layer of white snow outlined all the layers of the red rocks.  There were other hikers, I was surprised.  We brought quick drying clothes, rain coats, and ponchos.  After dropping Grandma off at the lodge where she could be warm and read her book, we hiked the Emerald Pools trail.  There were no waterfalls because it was snowing big snowflakes instead of raining.  But it was beautiful.  At the upper pools there was a huge stalagmite of ice where water was dripping off the wall to the pool.  It was huge.  I really enjoyed seeing Zion like that because I don't think I have ever been there while it was snowing or had such low hanging clouds over the whole park.  On the way back out I don't think we saw any more riders.  Either they had finished or were on to the next part of the ride.  Though I loved spending time with Wan, CJ, Mar, Tess, and Grandma, and seeing and experiencing a bit of Zion during a snow fall, I am totally disappointed in myself for not even going to the ride and beginning.  I felt guilty too that I left the kids with mom in her condition.  I also did enjoy riding down with John and Jyson.  Michelle was with us on the way back and it was enjoyable to visit with her too.  I also finished my book for the book club which I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to because I got it in the mail on Friday right before John showed up.  But it was an easy read.  We got back to Orem about 8:00pm.  The weather leaving Toquerville was bad.  We hit spots of bad snow.  But for the most part the roads were not too bad.  When I got back home I headed up to Farmington and got there about 9:20pm.  The kids were happy to see me.  Eric had a hard night on Friday.  Mom said he cried and cried for me.  He was very sad I was not there.  I guess that Friday Chantel did come over for a little bit.  She took Eric to her parents house in the afternoon and he played with Faith and their dogs.  Saturday Jared and Chantel did come over for a little while and Jared was good at wrestling and throwing the kids around.  Grandpa took Rubie for a walk but Eric didn't want to.  We came home Sunday morning and didn't go to Church with them because I could tell how tired Mom was and needed rest and they needed their quite house back.  I feel like I need to find two races to do this month to make up for my lack this month.

I hope all is well with you.  We are so proud of you.  Eric and Rubie say you are working hard in your work at the army.  I booked a flight to come see you for your graduation.  I'll be arriving on Tuesday evening 6:00pm to Columbia.  I'll be leaving early Friday morning.  One friend was saying that her friend went to visit her husband at his graduation and they couldn't even hug or anything.  I don't think he was at Fort Jackson.  Is it that way?  I saw some pictures on Facebook of some graduations and there were people hugging and kissing.  Have they talked about graduation yet with your families?  Are you allowed to spend a Wednesday and or Thursday night with me?  Your cousin Joy saw on Facebook that you were at Fort Jackson.  She said they are not far from you and would love to come to your graduation.  Since I was given 4 passes for graduation and will only be using 1 I said that she could have the other 3.  We will figure out how to meet up.  Is that okay with you?  Is there anything you want me to bring out to you?  I'm super excited to see you.  Good luck with all your upcoming challenges.  

I heard a song that has been in my head and keeps me thinking of you, it goes like this:

Do you hear me, I'm talking to you
Across the water across the deep blue ocean, under the open sky...
Boy I hear you in my dreams, I feel you whisper across the sea.
I keep you with me in my heart, You make it easier when life gets hard.

I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend,
Lucky to have been where I have been,
Lucky to be coming home again oh...

They don't know how long it takes, 
Waiting for a love like this
Every time we say goodbye, I wish we
had one more kiss.
I'll wait for you I promise you, I will.

I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend,
Lucky to have been where I have been,
Lucky to be coming home again, I'm
lucky we're in love in every way,
Lucky to have stayed where we have
stayed, Lucky to be coming home someday.

And so I'm sailing through the sea,
To an island where we'll meet,
You'll hear the music, feel the air, I'll put a flower 
in your hair.

Though the breezes through trees, Move
so pretty you're all I see.
As the world keeps spinning round, you
hold me right here right now.

I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend, 
Lucky to have been where I have been, Lucky
to be coming home again, I'm lucky we're in love
in every way.  Lucky to have stayed where we 
have stayed, Lucky to be coming home someday.

I love you, Scott!

Love, Jen

1 comment:

Sarah Jarvis said...

Oh no. I am so sorry. I totally know how you feel. What a bummer. Not that it was a wasted weekend but just not what you had hoped for/planned on. But hey, at least we got to hang out for a couple of hours....