Monday, February 7, 2011

Letter from Scott, received 4 Feb 2011

I was so excited to finally receive a letter from Scott.  I have started checking the mailbox each day with the anticipation of hearing from him.  I tried to scan the letter with our printer to a file, but I can't get it to work.  Things like that, spending the time to figure out technology, that I need Scott for.  So I'm going to type the letter he sent us. 


Jen:
Personal time is practically non-existent leaving me unable to write as much as I'd like.  We are waiting for a class to start and this will likely be the only "times" I'll be able to write.
      Life has been intense pretty much since the moment we got off the bus at reception.  In fact the days really blend into one big day.  At reception we had very little sleep (10 hrs in 3 days) while here at BCT we get about 7hrs/night however I've had 1 shower in five days.
2011-01-19
2316 hrs. finally laying down to bed.  Long day, mostly traveling from SLC to Atlanta, then to Columbia.  Had six soldiers in my group (Torres, Tidwell, Ortiz, Stallings, and Olsen).  When we got to CIP there was a USO lounge where they welcomed us and then put us on a bus.  There were about 40 soldiers in the bus.  40 minutes later we got off the bus at reception at Ft. Jackson.  had chow, a quick orientation were then issued linens, canteen and taught how to make a bed with hospital cornersMarched over and issued PT gear.  I am in A co. Platoon 67 and my number is 470 (A470-67) this only applies while I'm in the reception battalion.  As the night went on I was amazed at how many new soldiers were showing up.  More will come tomorrow as well, maybe Friday.  I'm going to read some BOM then lights out.
2011-01-20
1741 hrs. long day with only 4 hrs of sleep.  so far we got our pay cards, a hair cut (cost $5.95), audiology test, eye test and they drew blood.  We've been issued most of our uniforms.  The day is spent mostly in lines and/or sitting.  Also we had two "moments of truth" opportunities to divulge any undisclosed legal and or medical issues.  It sure is nice to not have any skeleton's in the closet.  It has been interesting experiencing so many emotions.  i find a lot of aspect similar to the MTC experience.  Watching the unit come together is also fun.  you can see the personalities begin to emerge on essentially two extremes 1)those who are cool to get along and 2)the more difficult individuals.  Also I've been a little surprised by the number of soldiers my age or older, far more common than I expected.  There's a good number of lDS soldiers as well.  so far the only thing I know is that I'll be in Charlie "C" company when I get to BCT.
2011-01-21
Had some excitement last night, at almost the same time we had a page we assumed was DS (drill sargent) roach when we got down in formation the MPs we're responding to a suicide alert on one of the PVTs, then while DS Harris (the senior DS) was discussing with the PVT and the MPs the paramedics arrived as another soldier had collapsed in the barracks.  As we headed back up DS Harris caught us and proceeded to smoke us because the barracks he had seen were an "embarrassment."  With a day and a half of sitting and the
2011-01-27
It's 2:45 am.  The DS was here about 1/2 an hour ago checking on the cleaning job the night watch had done.  That commotion woke me, I'm not falling asleep as I just as well write.
I've spent the first week in a half proverbial full body cringe in anticipation of what the experience would be.  I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop and have a DS up in my grill and doing push-ups and insane amoutn of time.  That hasn't been the case, I don't think it will be.  At reception (120th) the DSs used pretty much every curse and profane expression in the book while berating us.  They often expressed a desire to kill or do physical harm.  There at BCT they won't even use as much as a damn or hell (although as more of a cultural norm they take the Lord's name in vain).  I'm not sure hwy there is a difference between BCT and reception; however, I do know that at BCT they have strict guidelines of how they can treat us.  I was probably most surprised to see our DSs joking and being "real" people with us as early as teh first day we were here (Saturday).  I'll say this the DSs at both places (the 120th reception battalion and here at BCT) are top notch professionals.  I like them.  Other soldiers are already developing an aversion to various DS, I don't agree with their views.  Any how we've done so little intense physical activity that I am now volunteering to do pus ups.  For example we've been given a set of beads to wear to indicate how many canteens of water we've drank (hydration beads).  Last night while waiting on someone, the DS asked who did not have theirs on, PVT Marh didn't so as he made his way to do pus ups I stepped up as his Battle Buddy (even though he isn't my formal battle buddy) to do push ups with him.  I know that eventually they will smoke us as a group but they have been very conscientious of a) how much we've been taught, B) any PT tests/assessments or other events we might have coming up and C) our physical capabilities.  Therefore as a group we haven't been dropped for more than 10-15 push ups.  at the RSP the returning BCT graduates always said that BCT never smoked us more then they did at the RSP and that we'd need to look for PT opportunities on our own, I'm beginning to believe them.
The day before yesterday we did the "fit to win" course which is basically the iconic obstacle course you would expect us to do at BCT.  It was fun.
Today we have a march with some (a small portion) of our battle gear to victory tower.  This is where we will rappel about 50'.
Friday we have a march where we will camp over night then Saturday morning we have the gas chamber.  I'll write about those experiences once they happen.

I think of you often and miss you so much.  I miss the children as well.  Being away from my family is proving to be the single greatest challenge.  I know the Lord is preparing each one of us for some future time and the personal struggles and growth we each experience will be key to that preparation.  I pray that the Lord is watching over you and caring for your individual needs.

My appreciation is growing daily for so many things about my family, I truly am blessed!

I love you, 

Scott

2011-01-26
Eric:
Daddy has been very busy but I want to take a free moment to tell you how much I miss you.  I think of you every cay and miss cuddling with you to watch the news in the morning.  I hope you are having fun with your Lightening McQueen car that we built and your bear that we made.  I'm sure you are being a good boy for mommy and helping Rubie too.  Just think when Daddy gets home we'll go see the new McQueen movie.  Remember, you're my Little Hero, I think of you every single day.
Love, 
Daddy

2011-01-26
Rubie:
How is Daddy's Little Princess?  Yes I know "Sleeping Beauty."  I miss you so much!  Have you been taking good care of Belle Bear? I had so much fun with you when we went to the store.  Are you enjoying "The Little Gym"?  I'm sure you're doing the tricks.  Is Eric being nice, are you being nice?  Are you helping mommy?  I'm looking forward to coming home and going to Pirate Island with you.  I also want to go on a date with my Little Princess, be thinking of what you want to do.  I think of you every day.
Love,
Daddy

No comments: