Monday, February 21, 2011

Dear Scott, 21 February 2011

We're playing girl.  I'm Tina, this is my sister Anika.
Dear Scott,

Saturday I was doing laundry.  Eric and Rubie were playing in Rubie's room.  Finally I was done putting things away and was making up the beds and just picking things up.  They closed the door to the room and I didn't hear much noise.  They were playing together well.  And though I figured they were probably making a mess or something, I left them alone for a few minutes.  When the door opened they came out.  Eric came right up to me and said, "We are playing girl.  I'm Tina, and this is my sister Anika.  We want to watch a Barbie movie."  Aren't they cute!  I told Eric how Jessica and I used to dress up Uncle Joe as a little girl.  We would put a leotard and tights on him too.  We put bows and clips in his hair and called him Josephina.  Eric decided maybe Erica would be a good name for him, that also happened to me the name of the Barbie in the Barbie movie.  I don't think that Rubie encouraged this though.  But not to worry.  Within a few minutes he was tired of playing girl and couldn't wait to be spiderman and some other hero again.

We had a few nice weather days last week, but Saturday and Sunday morning woke up to snow.  The weather was just bad both of those days.  The kind of days you just don't want to leave the house.

eric rubie     4 2                      bvcxzsdf5hghytfvxdsew                mnbhgytre mnjhbgvfcdx

That was from Eric.  He wanted to type some letters too.

Not much to say.  We had a good week that was busy again.  We had Young Women New Beginnings Meeting this Tuesday.  Beth came over and watched the kids, or at least Rubie, Eric was asleep by the time she got here and was asleep for the night.  I was supposed to speak/teach about doing personal progress on line.  I had Tyler Thorstead help me the Sunday before to make sure we could use the internet and things would work in the Church building.  One problem, on Tuesday, we were set up in the Relief Society room, we were sitting outside the bishopric offices on Sunday, right near the router.  But far away, down in the Relief Society room, we couldn't get internet connection.  So I spoke about doing personal progress online without the use of the internet.  Oh, well.  What else, we had the Riley's kids over, Julie has to be in bed for a few weeks with her pregnancy.  So I missed a workout to help her out.  Friday we had preschool over here.  That takes up a whole morning, but it is fun.  The kids really like getting together.  Our letter was R, so we did some races.  The little kids are so funny.  We had Reid Tulett come over and join us also.  Eric, Reid, and Rubie loved the races.  I had to talk Emily, Hannah, and Kambri into doing the races.  They weren't sure they sounded like fun.  The first race was to fun across the room to a bowl of marshmallows, stuff two in your mouth, chew them up, run back, and the next kid go.  Reid, Eric, and Rubie couldn't wait to go, but the other girls just wanted to run and get the marshmallows and bring them back.  They didn't want to be forced to eat them, and especially not fast.  We had another one in which I had some little lunch bags of pictures.  One picture started with the letter R, the others were just random little pictures.  They had to run down and search through the bag and find the picture of the item that started with the letter R.  Again, Reid, Rubie, and Eric were jumping to go.  The other girls didn't want to race, they just wanted to look at the pictures, they especially wanted the picture of ring, and then they wanted to go sit at the table and color it, and color it pink.  All the races went like that.  Oh, and Rubie did all the races in her pink and purple princess bike helmet that she got on Thursday night, and wore all day Friday, and all day Saturday too.  

Saturday while I was riding my bike on the trainer, Rubie insisted on having her bike in the house also.  So we got out a little towel and laid it down next to the towel my bike is on.  Then we brought in the bike with the training wheels.  She would sit on that bike for a few minutes or so, but she was biking with me.  And she couldn't wait to bike outside with her helmet, which also came with a little bell that I installed on her bike.  And a water bottle with a holder.  That is on the training wheel bike though.  So on Friday after preschool we went out to ride her bike.  She is getting better and I even raised the seat for her.  She has grown a few inches since last summer.  Then later after lunch she wanted to bike again.  She almost wanted to sleep in the helmet but I convinced here that was uncomfortable.  She is getting to where she can put it on and click the chin strap herself.  But she needs help undoing the chin strap.  She is so funny!  I love her!

Eric and I had a fight Sunday morning.  I let him watch TV so I can get myself and the kids and the bag ready for Church.  Well I'm not going to let him watch TV next Sunday morning.  He throws a fit when it is time to turn it off and won't get his clothes on or come to church.  So then because I'm bigger and can physically control him, I get him in his clothes and in the car but then we are both angry and crying by the time we get to Church.  Of course we had a big talk about it and he has promised to be good and be obedient when it is time to do something besides watch TV.  But we are going to try next Sunday morning without TV.  We'll see how it goes.  It may be more of a punishment for me than him.  You should see him with the ipad.  He can totally navigate around it to find the shows he wants to watch, even hook it up to the TV.  I have also put some kid learning games on there and he is really good at those.  The games help him learn letters, numbers, and other preschool concepts.  There are some that work with reading and math and we still need to work on those a bit.  Those concepts he has to work a little harder at right now and so those aren't as fun.  But they will come.  

Eric told me last night that he misses you because he wants to cuddle with you on the couch and in bed. They kids were at the Oakey's yesterday while I went to a meeting.  Kendall, brother Oakey, was there of course.  Usually when the kids are over there it is during the week and he is at work, so Rubie has never met Emily and Jason's daddy.  Amy told me that when Rubie saw him she just looked at him for a few minutes and then said, "Your Emily's daddy."  He replied, "That's right."  Rubie then said, "I have a daddy too.  He's just at the army."

I'm so proud of you.  We pray for you each day.  The kids talk about you and even what they want to do with you when you get home.  Eric wanted to buy some pickles the other day and leave some out for you on a plate so you could have some when you get home.  People in the ward always ask about you as well.  I'm surprised at how many people have been in the service, either army, navy, or whatever.  Everyone has some story to relate.  We know you are doing your best and hope you are having good experiences every day.  I love you.  Eric and Rubie love you.  They painted you some beautiful pictures last night.  I know they are kind of big.  I tried to get them to do something smaller, but they just wanted to paint you a picture.  I guess the painting is more special because I don't just let them paint everyday when ever they want.  We always look forward to your letters.  I treasure each one.  May our Heavenly Father bless you with strength, endurance, a positive attitude, the ability to be an example, and opportunities to share the gospel.

Love forever,


Jen





 

1 comment:

Sarah Jarvis said...

Oh man, the picture cracks me up. And imagining how Eric comes out and says it. Hilarious! I already told the story to the boys and Karl, so when I saw the picture I showed it to them and they thought it was awesome! Noah did not even recognize Eric until he saw Rubie and he things Rubie looks like boy in her tank top!
Love it! They also keep asking when you guys are coming and when I told Noah how many more days he started crying. So sad. So you guys better come for sure! :-)