Friday, February 18, 2011

Dear Jen & kids, received 15 February 2011



Dear Jen & kids:

Wow I have so much I want to share with you.  I'll just start unloading, hopefully it will make sense.

We did an 8k march the other morning.  It was surprising to see how many people dropped out within the first mile.  The Army is definitely breeding a new generation of soldiers and the poor nutrition, health and work ethic of this generation is concerning.  Drill Sergeants will be the first to admit that the soldier of today is a weaker soldier than of years past.  Because of the shear size of the Army and the number of recruits that are processed each year it is clear this is a mass production operation.  Everything they do is geared to bring "sub par" individuals up to a minimum standard.  One of the affects is that those individuals that are above the minimum don't find it a challenge.  This has been one of my biggest disappointments in that the physical training hasn't been much of a challenge.  In fact the Drill Sergeants have a lot of limitations of how they can treat us and what they can do to us. To sum it up the Army is limiting/mitigating liability.  The cost of "broken" individuals outweigh pushing people.  One example is they cannot have us do flutter kicks.  In fact some of the guys were doing them on their own and the Drill Sergeants made them stop.

I got your valentines yesterday.  Drill Sergeant Wall instantly knew there were candies inside and made go to the front of the class to open and then eat one in front of everyone.  She did it because I passed the first PT test not at BCT standards but above Army standards which is only a big deal because 67% of our platoon failed the test.  They can't even meet BCT minimums.  What is even more disappointing is this was my worst PT in 9 months.

We've done quite a bit of shooting this week.  I've shot 140 rounds from my M16.  We started by 'grouping and zooing'.  Then yesterday we went to a range that had targets set up at 200 and 300 meters.  Next week we will qualify.  We have to hit 23 of 40 targets that will pop up on the range at a ariety of distances (50, 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 meters).  We'll have anywhere from 3-8 seconds to hit the target.  I'm not too worried, I should do fine.

As I go through these trainings I think of how I want both Eric and Rubie to be trained and preped-for example when we did the foot march a lot of the females did not even start and many of the rest dropped out.  A lot of the females have gone to sick call and are on some sort of profile because of foot, ankle and leg issues.  They simply aren't conditioned for the drills we do.  I definitely want Rubie to be properly conditioned for foot marches, handling weapons and general survival.

One thing I want to do is take the kids fishing this year and we definitely need to do more camping.  It has been quite cold here.  We've had rain some days.

Yesterday DS Wall had each of us introduce ourselves by giving our name, where we're from and why we joined the Army.  After I explained why "we" chose to join, Spc Zell said he was going to start calling me congressman Wilson.  I spoke of how we believe the U.S. Constitution and the principles upon which America is founded to be sacred, that there i one organization which is chartered to protect and defend The Constitution and our freedoms.  That we believe you should be a part of the solution and not simply complain.  I also mention...a DS walked in last night while I was writing and it was after hours.  So new topic.


Today was a big day.  We transitioned from Red Phase to White Phase which means we get a greater degree of trust from the DS.  An immediate change was when they started using songs and chants in our marching cadence.  That simple thing has made for a more fun atmosphere.  Also the DS's are more personable with us.  I've also heard we get a phone call every phase change, we'll see.


I've been meaning to write about the experience.  One of the main aspects is standing.  Through all of Reception and Red Phase a lot of our time was spent in either the Position of Attention or at Parade Rest.  It is important to understand that the regulation is when ever you are in either of the positions your feet, hands, and arms are static and your head and eyes are to the front.  You aren't even supposed to be looking (moving your eyes) around.  This isn't too bad for 5 mins, I used to think 10-15 was a lot.  I've stood like that for well over an hour at a time.  Most of the time outside in freezing temperatures.  This has become one of the "toughest" aspects of BCT, and unexpectedly so.  Another has been sitting in 3-4 hour classes with similar limitations.  It has given me a new understanding/definition of 'discipline.'  The platoon/company has really struggled with being in formation and not talking or moving (fidgeting).  It takes true discipline to stand still and not engage in the conversations going on around you.  I've tried a few times with some success to convince other members of the platoon that the best way to get others to be quiet is to set the example vs. just telling them to "shut up" or "shushing" them.  Christensen my Battle Buddy is excellent at this.  In fact it was his example that helped me early on.


I've also learned a lot about the power of 'positive mental attitude.'  I've had the opportunity to discuss this with a few from the platoon.  In life we have two choices of how we react/respond to situations and/or individuals.  Often our initial emotional or mental response will be negative however if we look a little differently we'll find a positive perspective.  There are so many things throughout the day here at BCT that I could be very frustrated even upset about, however I have made a very intentional effort to be positive about everything.  There are people I can easily say "I don't like PVT Doe or DS X, what I force myself to do is find something good to focus on.  Maybe a benefit I'll get out of a training or a characteristic I like about that person that really annoys me.  Also this means that I can't engage in "I hate PVT Doe" or "This meeting really sucks" conversations.  Once I do my focus has been shifted entirely to the negative and that only weighs me down.


I got your letter talking about how Rubie asks for me a lot.  You also wrote that "she hasn't forgotten her Daddy" which i needed to hear.  One of my fears bouncing around in my head as i stand all alone with my thoughts is "What if my kids forget about me?"  Sure it sounds silly but, put yourself in an isolated situation and ask yourself the same question.  It's not such an irrational possibility from that perspective.  Anyhow, it is one of my silly fears and having you say those things really helps.


Also in one of your blogs (I think it was the Jeppson update blog) you mentioned the farewell party Michelle held for me and you said something about me being missed more at work than at home.  I'm not sure how to fix that but I am truly sorry.


I've had a lot of time to write letters tonight because I'm on "Buddy Watch."  There is a soldier (PVT Bentley) that is getting chaptered out (Discharged) of the Army and while he waits for the process to run it's course two soldiers have to sit up for 2 hrs at a time and make sure he doesn't try to run or hurt himself or anyone else.  This duty cycles through the company and it is my turn again.  The Drill Sergeant on duty is allowing me to write so here is my positive for what is otherwise a very difficult thing to have charitable thoughts and emotions over.

Today we spent most of the day on hand-to-hand combatives.  One of the warm up exercises I think you'll really like it is a great ab, oblique and back work out.  It is very simple yet challenging.  I was pleased when I was able to get down and pass some from the group that had started before me.  All younger than me mind you.


They've posted a calendar of all our training for the rest of the cycle.  Looking from a business perspective the time looks very short, especially for how much we will be accomplishing.  Also this past week seems to have flown.  If next week goes as equally fast, BCT really will fly by.  


One thing I'm going to try and discuss with the Drill Sergeants is the possibility of me driving to Ft. Lee from Ft. Jackson.  I graduate Thursday march 31st.  My orders are to be at AIT on Tuesday, April 5th.  Anyhow the idea I'm concocting is for you to fly out for graduation and to drive together to Ft. Lee.  Then you could visit Jessica and Courtney and then fly home.  oh and of course the kids would need to come since it would be so long.  Anyhow it is a very slim possibility but I'm going to ask anyways.


This next week (2/13-2/19) we will spend a day at a range where single and multiple simultaneous targets pop up on the field for us to shoot.  Then we have two days to qualify on shooting the M16.  Also as a part of White Phase they assign student leadership.  That was supposed to happen today but didn't.  It will change the tone of BCT and I'm interested to see how the Platoon responds to peer leadership.


PVT Gonzalez saw my Book of Mormon and was excited to know that I'm a Mormon.  He's had friends that were but they've never really explained to him what it meant to be Mormon.  I told him it is something we should discuss when we have more time.  It will be fun to discuss.


I just got back from church.  I realized today that I'm frustrated because I want to have a church experience similar to what I'm used to at home.  Here we only have tow hours and the second hour is fairly crazy since they have 2 or 3 classes going on in one big chapel. It ends up being very noisy and I'm looking for some reverent time to feel the peace of the spirit.  I need to adjust my expectations and learn to feel the spirit regardless of the environment.


I want each of you to know how much I love and value you.  I look forward to spending some quality time together and making many memories together.  Here are a couple of pictures for the kids.  Daddy's not a very good artist.


Love,
Dad

Scott drew a picture of a rocket, a princess, and a race car with a lightning bolt.  But I can't use the scanner to scan them in.

1 comment:

Sarah Jarvis said...

What a great dad and husband!