Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Received from Scott, 2 March 2011

Scott writes:

Family:

More standing around again today.  It's beginning to hurt my legs, ankles and feet.  We had a run this morning.  I think we did 3 miles.  I hate running in formation.  I hate running with the Lt. Colonel, Captain, First Sergeant and a group of Drill Sergeants telling me how to run.  You know how little I enjoy working out with others, imagine my disdain of PT at Basic.  They have us divided into three ability groups A, B and C.  The Alpha ran at a 7:15/mile pace and B ran at an 8:15/mile pace.  I came in just behind the main group.  As always in the first mile a lot of people are out in front of me and by the last mile I'm passing soldiers (many of which are walking).

We also went to a new range and shot.  I did pretty well.  We were practicing shooting at targets that popped up at 75, 175 and 300 meters.  We also had to use different shooting positions; prone supported, prone unsupported and kneeling.  I scored 27 hits out of 40 shots which registered as a pass for the exercise.  A lot of people didn't do so well.  The two most important qualifiers for a soldier to graduate from BCT are physical fitness and shooting a weapon with lethal accuracy.  The bulk of our training is centered around these skills.

I got the Valentine card from the kids as well as one from Mom Jeppson.

Last night reading the scriptures I found a couple of verses that I really like, especially as I sit here with several weeks of training ahead of me.  We often quote 1 Nephi 3:7 where Nephi expresses confidence that God will provide a way to fulfill His commandments.  Well later in the chapter he is trying to convince his brothers to not give up after a couple of set backs in their mission.  1 Nephi 3:15-16 "...we will not go...until we have accomplished the thing which the Lord hath commanded us.  Wherefore, let us be faithful in keeping the commandments of the Lord."

Nephi didn't only show commitment and enthusiasm at the beginning of the mission.  He persists even in the face of opposition and apparent failure.  I can personally say this is extremely difficult to do.  As one that is full of ambition I have seen relatively few successes.  It is though to maintain belief and continue to put yourself in a position to fail.

I'm just laying down on my bunk.  It's 1923 hours on February 18th.  I just got out of the shower and I'm still sweating.  Today is D.S. Wells' last day with us.  Next week he has a military school he starts and he won't be back for the remainder of our cycle.  For his farewell he took us into the female bay and smoked us.  This was the real deal, old school BCT work out.  I thought it was just me that had not only soaked my entire shirt and pants but also had a pool of sweat on the floor; it was the entire platoon.  It was to the point that we were slipping in our own sweat.  At the end Drill Sergeant Jordan (3rd platoon) came in and D.S. Wells let him have at us for a few.  When we left and as we walked through 2nd Platoon Bay they had these wide eyes and were making comments about how nobody in the company  has been smoked that long.  I think it ended up being about 45 mins.  We were all so pumped, everyone was practically giddy when D.S. Wells told us to go into the bay.  We all had big grins on our faces and the biggest was the Drill Sergeants.  We all love him and will miss having him as a mentor and a coach.

The major accomplishment of this week was qualifying for BRM.  I scored 36 of 40 which qualifies me for "expert" level which is the highest of the 3 possible (marksman, sharp shooter, and expert).  Of 200 plus soldiers only 2 in the entire company attained that status, me and Wagner.  He's also in my platoon.  We both shot 36 in the first round and then he beat me in the tie breaker I shot a 28 and he got 30.  The platoon and D.S. were pretty pumped about it.  Today D.S. Wells told us that the "hard part" to BCT is behind us and that from here there should be no reason for us to not graduate.  next week we start ARM (Advanced Rifle Marksmanship).  Everything builds to the major event "Victory Forge" which is a 3 day field training exercise where we use all of the training in battle scenarios.  It's supposed to be pretty awesome.

Wow a lot of time has passed since I last wrote.  I should have put this in the mail earlier this week, but we have been so busy!  Today is Saturday Feb. 26.  We spent Thursday and Friday at ranges.   Our platoon was duty platoon this week which meant we were responsible for logistics.  Thursday morning we were supposed to do a 12k march.  About 2 minutes before we headed out D.S. Wall told me and another soldier to fall out.  She took us and a few of the "broken" soldiers to get the range set up for 200 soldiers to fire about 14,000 rounds of ammo.  It was my best day yet at BCT.  My post evolved into me being in charge of the ammo point where we guarded the ammo and had to pre-load the magazines then hand them out as soldiers entered the range and then exited and we had to collect those magazines again.  That was the longest since reception, I worked hard but the time passed and I had the most fun.  It is amazing what mentally engaging activities can do for the soul.  I realized how much I miss my civilian life where I experience that everyday.  Here at BCT it is a mindless experience; we are told what to do, say, think, etc.  Friday was another range and based on my performance the day before I was given even more autonomy and accountability over the ammo point and an equally fulfilling day.  D.S. Rottman told me I am a dweeb when I explained how I had calculated the number of people loading magazines, the number of rounds to be loaded, the number left over, etc.  Anhow, what I'm supposed to be excited about (and it was cool, don't get me wrong) was the fact that we shot M4 rifles with Red Dot laser scopes and night vision gear.  It would have been "cooler" if it were equipment that was permanently issued to me and I could have adjusted everything specifically to me.  As it was the entire company of 200 soldiers shared 30 rifles and night vision gear.  Really it was just a taste of what high tech war fare is like.  All suited up I looked like someone out of an action movie.  Today I chipped my tooth doing combatives.  I'll go to the dentist sometime next week to see what they do to fix it.  I wish I could have written more during the week because I feel as though I'm leaving a lot of detail out of my week.

I got the letter where you talk about Eric playing dress-up.  It was very touching to hear about Rubie and Brother Oakey.  I worry about Eric and Rubie forgetting their Daddy.  I also worry about the adjustment when I come home, I hope they will want me around after so much time away.  Last week's call was hard for me as I was really looking forward to hearing them since they were asleep the call before.  When they didn't want to speak I was real sad.  It was so nice that they finally did open up.  SPC Harris is a female in my platoon and her daughter refused to speak because she feels as though her mom betrayed/abandoned her.  Harris was in tears and my heart ached seeing the pain.  I know it's tough for her to leave her children.  Anyhow, I pray daily that the children will be emotionally cared for and I rely on Heavenly Father to look after you and them.  This experience has revealed to me what my core is made of emotionally, psychologically, and spiritually.  I know now how completely my entire life and being is meshed with my family.  That is to say that everything I am and do at it's core is about my wife and children.  There is nothing in life I value more than you.  As I go through my days and I think about the BCT experience and the Army experience I've come to appreciate the individual experiences we have and yet at the same time this is our success or accomplishment.  A lot of focus is put on team here at BCT and perhaps it has caused me to think along these lines but I like the idea of our family is similar to a team.  That we win/lose, succeed/fail together.  I am so blessed to have each one of you in my life: Mom, Eric and Rubie.  As I imagine what our future holds I envision great things.  I am especially inspired by the potential I see in Eric and Rubie, they truly are "noble and great spirits"!  A lot of soldiers are here to make their parents proud, I hope to be a father Eric and Rubie can be proud to claim.  I miss and love each of you.

Love Forever,

Dad

No comments: