Thursday, March 24, 2011

Letter from Scott, received Monday 14 March




Family,

I just read Elder Scott's conference message "The Transforming Power of Faith and Character" (Nov 2010).  This message really resonates with me at this time.  Elder Scott uses several eloquent metaphors to illustrate the relationship of faith and character.  Here is one he repeats at least once:  "character is woven patiently from threads of applied principle, doctrine and obedience." He also writes, "We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become each day.  Righteous character is a precious manifestation of what you are becoming."

Today is Sunday and I'm studying a little before we head out to church (aka religious services).  It is sad how few of the soldiers attend services.  That combined with the conversations are cause for concern in the moral health of our society.  Earlier we were discussing a "Dear John" letter PVT Gonzalez received.  From there others began recounting their first loves and break-ups.  Then PFC Tardieu (spelling?) made a comment about us not being the last men to touch our wives or us being the last men our wives are with.  Interestingly he prefaced his comment with  "Wilson you may disagree with this..." I did acknowledge that he was likely correct for the vast majority of people but that I did disagree with him in my personal case.  I explained that we've only ever been with each other and that we planned on being together forever.  I have taken for granted how rare it is for two people to be so committed to each other, their marriage and the family they create.  It truly is a treasure.  I am so blessed to have such an amazing family.

It has been too long since I mailed a letter.  I miss each of you terribly.  I must admit that since we spoke on Saturday night I've had a hard time getting your mother (meaning Jen) out of my thoughts.  I look forward to our time together at the end of the month.  This is the longest period of time we've been apart in seven years (maybe eight because I don't think I was in El Salvador this long).  I miss so many things, small things.  The days are beginning to wear on me.  We've done a lot since I last wrote.  Today we threw live grenades.  Last week we crawled under live machine gun fire (M240B).  Friday we will do buddy team rushes where we storm a street using natural barricades for cover and providing cover fire for our buddies.  Next week we will do convoy operations and then the week after is Victory Forge which is the culminating exercise of our BCT experience.

This Saturday is the final APFT (PT test), this is the test to determine whether we qualify to graduate BCT.  I've passed the first two not only at BCT standards but by AIT standards so I'm not too concerned about that.  The greatest challenge has been patience and tolerance both with the monotony of the days and the immaturity of the platoon.  A lot of the personalities in my platoon remind me of the people I've fired in the past.  The problem is I can't fire these people.  I can't eve effectively influence the D.S. to discipline them.  And I'm in the student leadership!!  Anyhow, the days seem to drag but the weeks fly by.  Today I'm drained and trying to get my positive energy back.  I hope all is going well for the family back home.  I look forward to seeing all the kids have learned at gymnastics.  I'm excited for the tri season and to see mom, I know she is going to be awesome.  I'll be getting back just as the summer weather is getting good for some family outings.  I'd like to add a nice camp chef to our equipment list.  With the tent we got last summer we can have some great camping trips with great food.


Okay it has been about 24 hours since I was writing last night.  I hit a low point, snapped and nearly busted my hand on my wall locker.  It's a long story (sort of) and something I'll tell you about when you're out here for graduation.  I'm in pretty good spirits as of tonight and I am excited to finish out this challenge (BCT).  I miss and love you more than I know how to express in words.


Love, 
Scott


Family:
I'm sitting in the waiting room at the dental clinic here at Ft. Jackson.  Yesterday we began the "Victory Hammer" FTX (Field Training Exercise) a 3 day, 2 night experience.  Last night we completed the Night Infiltration Course.  That's the course where we crawled across a field while they shot live rounds over our heads.  It sound intense but it was actually pretty low key.





Also included in the letter were some drawings.  One is a map showing the barracks, PT Pit, Battalion HQ, Golden Arrow Rd., PT track and field, DFAC, Dirt Field, Storage, and forest areas.  The second drawing is a more in-depth drawing of the company barracks and PT area.  I tried to scan them, but my scanner does not work.  Scott can fix it when he gets back.

No comments: