Sunday, November 21, 2010

Cascade Springs Hike and Camping

We so wanted to go camping one weekend this summer, but we were so busy.  There was always something planned.  Finally we found a weekend on August 20th that we could get away.  But Scott still had to work that Friday.  A month before I started calling all the campgrounds to reserve a camp site.  But nothing was available.  Each campground did have a few first-come-first-serve sites, but you had to be to them by noon and be quick to get those.  I thought I can do that.  Getting ready for a camping trip is never easy and fast, especially with the kids.  But not bad.  I wasn't able to get out of the house until 1:00.  But I still wanted to try to find a place to camp.  I drove up to Granite Flats--nothing.  Then Timpanooke--the camp host literally laughed at me.  Aspen Grove--nothing.  Now I was getting a little nervous.  Even Salamander Flats had nothing.  I thought about driving over to Mapleton or Hobble Creek, but wondered if by the time I got there every camp site would be gone.  Eric and Rubie were so excited about camping that I had to keep looking.  Then I remembered from biking on the other side of the canyon near Cascade Springs that I had seen some camping spots.  So that is where I went.  Most of those sites were taken too.  Wow!  Then finally, I found something off the main road, on a little dirt trail.  It turned out not to be too far from Cascade Springs.  Great, this would be fun to explore Cascade Springs, not even I've been there, and then camp here near a little stream and really roughing it with the kids not in a campground.  So I set up camp, got the kids a snack.  They played and explored while I set up the tent and chairs and got our site ready.  Then we headed back down the canyon to pick-up Scott.

Now with the four of us we headed right to Cascade Springs for a little hike and exploring.
An afternoon nap on the way to Cascade Springs.  Who did that?!

Trailhead of Cascade Springs.

One of the springs.

There are these springs seeping out all over the mountain side.  A network of trails has been built all around them so people can hike and enjoy the beauty while preserving the springs.

A pretty bridge and waterfall.

Oh, a bench.  I need to try it out.

I'll check the map.

Some more springs.

On the trail.

These trails beg to be run on.

Always seeing things to point out.

Ever watchful.

At the campsight roasting hot dogs for dinner.

Searching for some fire wood.

Eric proud to be wearing his own head lamp.

Chopping fire wood.

Good Morning!!  We had a fun night sitting around the fire, playing some games in the tent and sleeping all cuddled up next to each other in our large family tent, on air mattresses and with warm blankets.

Our huge family tent.

We drove over the top to hike at the something Pine trail.  Eric was not happy that Rubie got to ride in the carrier and he couldn't.  He started to cry and refused to go.  "My legs are tired, I can't hike."   It was still morning, we hadn't even done anything yet.

Rubie is ready to go.

Rubie decided she was done with the carrier, she wants to hike with me....

...so now Eric is happy.

She loves to touch and investigate all the flowers.

A break.

We were almost run over by some guys on motor bikes.  They came up the trail so fast.  Rubie was now scared and didn't want to hike anymore.  Daddy carried them both down the trail for a ways.
This was a fun camping trip.  Two hikes and a nice little site right in our back yard.

1 comment:

Sarah Jarvis said...

So fun! Sounds like you found a great place after all!