Thursday, January 20, 2011

From Scott January 19

Dear Jen,

So my roommate has an interesting story. He is Yaareb Altaweel an Iraqi. That caught me off guard but made for some great conversation. After he watched his country get bombed (his mechanic shop was completely leveled) the only work was whatever the American's provided. The most common was janitorial/labor type jobs making $2/day (good money according to Yaareb). It wasn't long until they began using his English skills for translating which led him to such experiences as meeting General Patraeus (actually has one of Patraeus's coins) and other high profile individuals. There's a lot more, hopefully I'll remember enough for my journal or when I get home.
It's meeting people like Yaareb that add to the richness of this experience. People have such cool stories, I truly love meeting people and getting to know them. One of my "regrets" of sorts in preparing for this time is not using "Preach My Gospel". I'm lying in bed realizing (partly thinking back to those Sisters in the visitor's center) that my missionary muscle's are out of shape. I think back to how easy and skilled I was after two years of it and now a bit timid/ashamed I don't feel as bold about missionary opportunities. That will have to change because very soon a whole lot of people are going to have a whole lot of questions. I'll be okay, just sharing my thoughts.
I love you. Thank you for a great evening. I truly am honored to be your husband and I am immensely grateful that you are my children's mother.

Love,

Scott

No comments: