Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Joining the National Guard

In May, Scott joined the National Guard. Wow, what a big decision this was. We thought about, researched it, prayed and fasted about it, talked to various people, and finally decided to go through with it. We didn't tell our families until he had signed. We received so many mixed reactions. Some people really thought it was a great thing to do, and others have responded with "Why in the world would you go and do a thing like that!!?"

We have a lot of peace about this decision. I guess the biggest reasons are for the educational benefits. Scott will be able to get his masters degree now. It brings us a little extra income for each weekend that he spends at drill. And for Scott there are lots of benefits. He has been to 3 drill weekends now. He continues to improve in his physical abilities. And so far still likes it.

The biggest draw back for me is that he will have to go to Basic Training and AIT. It will be a 4 1/2 month period. (That is a long time!) It will be difficult being a single parent during that time but I will rely on friends and babysitters to help out. He is scheduled to go in September but is trying to get the date pushed back to January.




I am super proud of you. I know this will not always be easy, but you will receive great rewards and joy from your efforts here.

2 comments:

Heather Vincent said...

I think it's great what he is doing! My Dad was a Sgt. in the Marines and my two youngest brothers both serve as well. One in the Navy and the other in the Marines. And, my nephew just enlisted with the National Guard. I think it's just a standard "shock" when a family member enlists. I will never forget the shock with Kyle enlisted with the Navy.

As for being a single mom, I did it for 14 weeks when my husband went to POST. I was VERY sick and 5 months pregnant. I did it with the help of my amazing mother-in-law. You are a strong woman, you can do it. If you want to talk, let me know.

I wish your husband the very best of luck!!!

Jamie Pearson said...

Hey congrats Scott. Jen 4 1/2 months will go by so fast especially having the kids to entertain you. You can do it for sure. Where does Scott go for basic and AIT?