Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Answered Prayers

So what has happened the last few weeks?  Mostly just life.  We are busy through the week with school, homework, karate, scouts, etc.  Eric did have to get a spacer in his mouth which has caused some adjustment on his part.  He is not supposed to eat gummy candies and he is recognizing that there are so many candies he should not eat.  Between that and Rubie going to a therapeutic program with diet restrictions, we might get a little healthier around here.  During parent/teacher conferences a couple weeks ago, Mrs. Bingham again brought up us seeking some professional help for Rubie to help her with her lack of focus.  Of course Mrs. Bingham cannot tell us what to do like see a doctor or suggest medication, but she has seen how medication can help.  I don't really feel like medication is the best option because then she will need it maybe the rest of her life and what are the side-effects.  I'm not opposed completely to it, I just want to try something else first.  Earlier in the year I visited some of the therapists around town.  I felt good about one particular program, it was more than just seeing a therapist, but they couldn't really give me much idea of how they would really help Rubie or what her issue could be and the amount of treatment is open-ended.  With insurance not really paying for it I was really hesitant and had a serious talk with Rubie.  She has done a little better, especially because she is aware that she needs to concentrate on focusing.  Her focusing is bad at school but at home, it causes contention and behavior issues, especially between me and her and it takes so much of my energy and attention.  Well, after our talk with Mrs. Bingham I was searching on-line and found Brain Balance.  They happen to have a center right here in PG.  It is an intense program and their 1 term of 36 sessions costs as much as a year tuition at AHS.  The idea is that some brains, the different halves have developed at a different rate, or the connections between them have not developed as they should.  Through different physical activities, one-on-one work, and learning, etc. the connections are built and the person is taught how to use those new connections.  The testimonials are overwhelmingly amazing.  This sounds just like what she needs.  Rubie of course would be on the low-end of the spectrum of the kinds of kids that they work with.  But I don't want her to struggle her way through school.  I want her to be able to take advantage of all opportunities and experiences that come her way.  I don't want her self-esteem to suffer because of this.  If this is right for Rubie and our family, the Lord will provide a way financially for us to pay for Brain Balance and AHS.

Already I know that because Sunday Scott and I fasted that financially a way would be made.  Of course I have thought about what I could do to contribute.  While serving in the lunchroom yesterday, the lunch lady, Brooke, asked if I would be interested in her job next year.  I did not even realize it was a job, I thought it was a volunteer position.  She only gets paid $10/hour, and it requires about 2 hours a day.  But the biggest benefit is a tuition credit.  One student gets to attend AHS and we don't get charged.  I would be working for the tuition.  The hours and commitment would be right and I could make it work.  It just isn't certain yet because her son has not made up his mind.  But it was a direct answer to our prayer and fasting that the Lord is aware of our prayers and hears and is going to help provide a solution.

1 comment:

Dellitt said...

I will keep you all in my prayers.