Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Eric's talk, Warmer Weather

Eric gave such a nice talk in Primary on Sunday.

Eric’s talk 2/28/16
The Scriptures Teach of Heavenly Father’s Plan

The past couple of weeks in our family scripture reading, we have been reading about Abinadi teaching the people of King Noah about Heavenly Father’s Plan.  The people are wicked and Heavenly Father wanted Abinadi to tell them to repent.  King Noah and his priests got mad at Abinadi for teaching this and threatened him.  He was probably scared, but he obeyed Heavenly Father anyway and kept on preaching. 

Part of following Heavenly Father’s plan is learning to be obedient on earth even when we are scared, or anxious, or just don’t want to. 

One time my friend and I were playing video games.  We played a game that my parents have told me not to play because of the rating of violence.  I played it anyway.  I felt scared and ashamed but I told my mom anyway that I played it.  I was so scared she was going to be super mad and I would get punished.  She didn’t get mad.  She was happier that I was honest and told her that I had played the game.  The worst punishment came from the guilt I felt.  I did get grounded from the friend for a day or two.  But that was ok. 

The next time I was at that friend’s house and he wanted to play that game with another friend on-line.  Even though he knew I couldn’t play the game, he said he had to play it.  He said I could stay and watch or leave.  So I left.  It did make me feel bad that he would choose to play the game over hanging out with me.  But I felt good that I was obedient to my parents.  I know Heavenly Father was proud of me too.

Abinadi has taught me that I can be obedient even in scary situations.  And by scary I mean my friends choosing to play a video game over hanging out with me.

Abinadi is an example of making a good choice, the best choice even if it’s hard to do.  And that is part of Heavenly Father’s Plan.

I bear my testimony that Heavenly Father is true and He is the almighty God.  And I know that I have agency and I can choose whether to disobey my parents or not.


In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

He delivered it so well.  I am so proud of the young man that he is.  I really appreciate how much effort he puts into his school work, karate, guitar, scouts, being obedient, a good and loyal friend, and doing what is right.

The kids did not have school on Friday.  We played outside for awhile the morning.  The weather has finally turned so we are passed winter cold.  We have seen sunshine and warmer temps.  What a difference this has made in my mode and overall feeling.  I didn't realize I was so prone to be affected by cold weather and gray skies, and inversions.  But I really think I was negatively affected.  I wanted to do something fun with the kids, Scott had drill all weekend so we went to visit Mandy and her family.  I love their neighborhood for all the kids and families out.  Mandy is doing great.  They finished off their basement and continue to make improvements on their beautiful home.  All the kids really love playing there and Mandy is always good for my soul.

Saturday Sarah invited Eric to spend the night.  She wanted him to stay all day Sunday and have us all come for dinner, but I didn't want Eric to miss the opportunity to give a talk in Church.  Also, with our late church and being a school night I try not to be gone too much.  In the summer, that will be different.

It is a beautiful day again today.  Rubie is home sick.  But Sam wanted to go to the Discovery Park so bad and we have Ezra here.  So I took all of them to the park.  Now Rubie and Ezra are sleeping.  Sam is watching a show.  I worked on some of the Sunday School lesson but started to fall asleep and so I needed something that would keep me awake.

Oh, in Church on Sunday we got a new bishopric.  Bishop Sanders with Counselors Jim Jenkins and Dave Morton were released.  The new bishop is Tom Fox with counselors Jason Huddleston and Darren Knight.  I have sure loved this Bishop and bishopric.  I really appreciate their service, testimonies, challenges, and love and support.

No comments: