Sunday, November 16, 2014

First Snow of the Season

The weather has turned very cold this week.  We also got the first snow of the season.  It has snowed a couple days this week but has not really stuck around.  One day we got enough snow that the kids tried to build a snowman.  They got a small bottom round of snow and that is all.  It's still in the yard covered with leaves.  We discovered Eric's snow boots are missing.  That kid leaves his jackets and outerwear all over the place.  I get tired of replacing things because he has left them different places.  We are perpetually buying gloves, hats, boots, jackets, and coats, and scarves.  If I didn't buy so much for the kids maybe I could get something too.  Wah...

Rubie had a talk in primary today.  I wish I had taken a picture of her.  She looked really beautiful in a new dress and she let me style her hair.  She did a good job on her talk that was about how the teachings of Jesus Christ strengthen our families.

Rubie's talk:

When Jesus visited the Nephites on the American continent he prayed with them, taught them to pray, and commanded them to pray on their own and with their families.  He said, “I say unto you, ye must watch and pray always, lest ye be tempted by the devil, and ye be led away captive by him.  And as I have prayed among you even so shall ye pray…ye must always pray unto the Father in my name…And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given you.  Pray in your families unto the Father, always in my name, that your wives and your children may be blessed.”

The Family: A Proclamation to the World states that, “Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ.”

In my family we are learning the power of prayer when we pray together.

Recently my Dad has had to be away from our family a lot for work and army duties.  One Saturday night in our family prayers, my Dad prayed that Eric and I would be really good for my mom on Sunday morning.  He prayed that we would be kind to each other, be willing to help with Samuel, and be happy and willingly get ready for church.  In the morning, my brother Eric helped encourage me that we needed to make sure Daddy’s prayer came true.  Eric and I woke up and cleaned our room.  We got our church clothes on and got Samuel up and helped get him breakfast.  My mom hardly even had to ask us to do anything.  The whole day she never had to yell at us or get ornery because we were being disobedient.  The Spirit stayed in our house that day.  I had good feelings toward my family members and was happy all day.

When we pray together as Jesus commands us, we are blessed.

Now I have a game for you.  I’m going to read a statement.  If it is something that will make you stronger as a family than stand up.  If it won’t make your family stronger than sit down.  Here we go:
1.      Set a good example.
2.      Go to bed on time.
3.      Talk back to your Dad.
4.      Tell your family you love them.
5.      Share your toys.
6.      Say “please” and “thank you.”
7.      Skip Family Home Evening.
8.      Argue with your Mom.
9.      Help with dinner.
10.  Be kind to your family.

Thank you for playing.  Those are just some things we each can do to strengthen our families.  I know that having a strong and happy family is part of my responsibility as a family member.  I know that when we follow the teachings of Jesus Christ, we will have happiness in our family.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Scott finished up his AT (annual training) today, but will leave out of town tomorrow for work.  Again he will be gone all week.

No comments: