Sunday, May 4, 2014

April 2014

I have now missed a couple of weeks and so must play catch-up.  Scott has a movie on in which I must read the subtitles and this is distracting, oh it just changed to English.  Good, I'm going to try to multi-task for a bit.

I will be editing this but I have it up for a few minutes and so will jot down some things I wanted to write about:

  • karate tournament between AF and SS schools
  • Easter
  • School volunteer
  • Idita-Read in Eric's classroom
  • Reading for a Seven Peaks pass
  • Parent Teacher Conference

  • We are so proud of Eric for participating and completing the Idita-Read with his class.  It coincided with the Ididarod dog sled race in Alaska.  He had to read something like 1,131 minutes to finish the read in the month of March.  He was so motivated that he read almost 3,000 minutes.  He wanted to be one of the first finishers and ended up being in the top 6 finishers.  During the same month the kids in the school could read 500 minutes to earn a 7 Peaks Day Pass.  Even Rubie read 500 minutes and so both will be getting a Day Pass to 7 Peaks.  Mrs. Soderstrom had a celebration and ceremony in her classroom to award and reward the finishers of the Idida-Read.  Only one student in the class was not a finisher.  She gave a very cool speak on the Marks of a Finisher.  Each child was given a certificate and a sled dog--a stuffed Alaskan Husky type dog.  Eric's dog is named cutie.  He was so thrilled to receive that dog.
  • I continue to be a volunteer in Rubie's classroom once per week.  Usually every Thursday.  I have loved seeing her in class.  It is good to know how she behaves and performs in class.  She is much shyer and quiet, but still must be called upon and reminded to pay attention, to sit straight, and keep eyes forward.  She is adorable and I am very pleased with my kids' efforts in school.  Not that I don't see some room for improvement, there is.  But they both want to do well.  For both classes I continue to be the room parent, arranging schedules for the parent classroom volunteers.  It has given our family more than our required 30 hours of volunteer hours.  I hope it is enough to get Eric and Rubie both re-admitted for next year.
  • We were able to go and meet with Mrs. Strong and Mrs. Soderstrom for parent teacher conferences.  Both teachers are pleased with the kids' performances in class.  Mrs. Soderstrom loves Eric's smile and is so pleased with his positiveness.  We will be working on him math over the summer, even his reading.  But he is a great reader and speller.  Rubie will also need some good work in math but has learned so much in reading and spelling and other subjects.
  • We had a great Easter holiday.  We started our celebration on the Saturday before.  Eric and Rubie participated in a small karate tournament just at their BLK school but the Saratoga Springs school joined.  Eric won a 1st and 2nd place ribbon and Rubie won a 2nd and 3rd place ribbon.  I did not go to the tournament, just Scott took them.  I stayed home with Sam knowing that Sam would not allow me to sit there and watch and would also need a nap.  So I am not exactly certain what the ribbons were for but I know they performed their kata/routine, did kick boxing, and I think some punches.
  • After the tournament we went to Farmington to Mom and Dad's.  What a FUN time we had.  Joe and Tai were also there with their boys.  Mom and put together a fantastic Easter Egg Hunt.  She made it fun for all the kids.  The eggs were filled with all kinds of treasures they loved.  Then we played some games that I had prepared.  We played Roll the Egg, Pin the Tail on the Bunny, and Easter Charades.  During our lunch/dinner I had some Knock Knock Jokes and Easter Trivia in eggs that we opened and read.  We played outside and inside and also celebrated Dad's birthday.  Mom had Easter gifts for all the kids.  We all truly enjoyed the day and the time together.
  • Sunday after church we did an Easter egg hunt here.  I had Rubie and Eric fill the eggs and I hid the while the kids colored boiled eggs with Dellitt and Scott and I did some too.  Then during the hunt our Easter Bunny made an appearance with some baskets for the kids.  I had more plans but didn't really get out shopping to get some gifts or clothes, but I had a few things.
  • Next year I'd like to really make the holiday reflect more on Christ.  Saturday can be all about the fun, even Friday if need be.  But I'd like to learn more and focus more on Christ.

No comments: