Sunday, March 30, 2014

Saturday's Warrior

We should be at church right now but instead we are sitting on the couch, having finished devotional in our play church and now watching Saturday's Warrior.  Scott and I are both sick with colds or sinus infection.  Samuel has a cough and runny nose and so does Eric.  So we decided to stay home from church.  As it is a 5th Sunday I don't have relief society responsibilities today.  I started to feel a sore throat come on Thursday and after doing some yard work being exposed to a smelly swamp where the sandbox was I almost completely lost my voice.

Yesterday we had family pictures at Target.  I had a $50 reward and 50% of coupon to use.  So I figured we better use it.  I got a $530 package for $100.  I am still not to the weight or shape I want to be in and neither is Scott but I think we will have some fine pictures.

Friday the kids didn't have school.  We had 4 boys from Eric's class over to play, and Adam from Rubie's class.

Eric completed his class Idita-Read this week.  By Wednesday he had read 1,131 minutes for the month so far.  He will also win a day pass to 7 peaks.  Rubie reached her 500 minutes of reading on Thursday for her 7 Peaks Pass.  I'm so proud of them for participating in these reading programs and setting goals to accomplish this reading.

Some cute/funny things I want to remember about the kids:  Samuel is so good at giving love.  He can give the best hugs.  He will hug someone with his whole body.  Whenever Scott and I hug or show affection he has to rush over and get right in the middle.  I think Eric and Rubie did that too.  But he will straight arm Scott and shake his head "No" to him.  Last night when I was up in the middle of the night with Sam he laid down on me took my face in his hands and put his lips on mine.  I was so surprised and touched.

Rubie loves to pretend to be different things.  She will play that she is the mom and I'm the daughter and will say, "Let's play this forever and ever until I don't want to anymore."  Sometimes she will be a baby, a cat, a 3 year old, a teenager.  Sometimes the game will go on for a few days or just a few minutes.

I've been so pleased to see how Eric will jump in and get his homework and chores done.  He will complain for a few minutes but then realizes he just needs to get it done.  We still struggle with Rubie getting her chores done.  It is a fight.  But then sometimes, she totally surprises me and will want to help with dishes and laundry or vacuuming.  Samuel makes the fire truck siren noise.  We have a fire truck from when Eric was 3 that makes the siren noise.  He loves it and loves books that have a fire truck.  Whenever he sees a big truck he makes the siren noise.  It's so cute.  He is now liking cars and vehicles, but most of them make the siren noise to him.  Yesterday he almost said "bird".  He made the sign for "bird" with his fingers and said "bir".  I love to see kids my children grow and learn, and discover more about what they can do.

Eric and Rubie ride their bikes without training wheels.  They kept begging Scott to take them off and he wanted to wait until he had time to help them ride for a while.  But that was not necessary.  The training wheels came off and off went the kids.  I'm sure because of their riding their balance bikes this transition was so smooth.  Now they are getting so good on their bikes.  We went on the Murdock Trail and and to Rubie it became a race, a competition.  Eric just rode casually one.  But both got better on their bikes even just through that hour.

No comments: