Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014, Happy New Year!

It is a new year, with lots of hope for new possibilities and experiences.  One of my goals for this new year is to write a blog post at least once per month.  This will be easier for me than last year for several reasons.  The biggest reason being that we have 9:00am church time this year and so that means that when Samuel has his afternoon nap I can come to the blog.  I have several other goals but a big one is to get back to some athletic competition.  I also need to spend more time with Eric and Rubie individually. 

To end 2013 and bring in the New Year, I had a New Year's Eve snow shoe adventure.  I met Karl and Sarah Jarvis and Leslie Howlet at the Big Springs parking lot.  We headed East toward the Shingle Mill trail.  Karl and I actually snow shoed that trail on a date with each other years ago while at BYU before Sarah ever became my roommate.  We had an enjoyable time and hiked for 4 hours.  At first the snow was packed enough that we did not put our snow shoes on.  After at least an hour maybe more we finally put our snow shoes on and broke trail.  We saw lots of large moose tracks along with hair and droppings which made it seem like we could come upon the moose at any time.  We also came across some big cat tracks.  It took us a few minutes to figure out what the tracks were.  I think we came up on the base of Windy Pass, maybe.  But we got very far without having to scale a straight up mountain side--almost. 

That evening the kids went to a party at the Platts.  They had the 4-8 year olds over from 4-6 to ring in the British New Year.  Older kids then came over.  But our family went to the Harrisons.  We also invited Nate and Carlee Tulett and their boys to join us.  We had yummy food and visiting with friends while the kids played.  Samuel and I only stayed until 8.  He needed to come home and go to bed.  I was amazed that he slept through the fireworks.  It sounded like there was a war right outside the bedroom window.  Scott and the kids didn't get home until around 1:00.  Or so they said, I didn't wake up.

New Years day was kind of a lazy day and also we spent time getting ready for Eric's birthday.  Eric turned 7 years old.  I am so proud of the young man that Eric is becoming.  Over the Christmas holidays Noah Jarvis was baptized.  Sarah had asked me to say the opening prayer for the baptism and I said I would but suggested that Noah ask Eric.  Eric readily agreed.  I was unable to attend because Samuel was sick enough not to go that day.  But from what I heard from Scott and Sarah he offered a wonderful prayer.  Sarah said he gave a thoughtful and heartfelt prayer.  My mom also came to visit on New Year's Day to see Eric and spend some time with him for his birthday.  She brought him a beautiful and yummy cake and sugar cookies from her favorite bakery, Parsons Bakery in Bountiful.  Eric wanted an abominable snowman birthday.  The cake was decorated in a winter scene.  For a present she gave him an indoor snowball fight.  Little foam balls covered in soft fabric.  She also gave him money that he could choose to spend/save.  She let Eric choose some games to play.  They played our Minion Operation game that we got for Christmas.  They played Avenger Memory, from the birthday card she gave him.  Then they went downstairs and had a snowball fight and played some games with the snowballs.  She is such a wonderful grandmother!

That night Noah and Max Jarvis came over around 5.  We thought they could spend the night and help Eric start the celebration for his birthday.  We had dinner and they played and watched movies and had all kinds of fun.  We made Eric's favorite breakfast, BACON, waffles with whipped cream.  Later in the day Brock Charlton and Kyrik Patch joined us.  Scott took the 3 boys and Rubie to see a movie, Frozen.  They came back to the house for snow ball games.  Marshmallow sculpting, presents, and cake and ice-cream.  It was a fun day and I know that Eric really enjoyed his birthday.

Eric is very smart young man.  He is incredible at spelling and a great reader.  He can read scriptures already.  In our family scripture reading he will often read an entire column.  His reading and spelling have really improved over the last few months.  He does really well in his school work.  I am proud of his work in karate and Hip Hop.  He has an excitement for karate that I love seeing.  He is excited for his upcoming dance recital.  I am proud of the testimony that he has and how it is growing as well.  As a mother I feel a great urgency and a deep responsibility that my greatest purpose lies in my children accepting the gospel and having strong testimonies.  I understand that ultimately they have agency and they may not make choices that lead them toward God and a growing testimony.  But I feel like I want to do all I can to ensure that my children will walk in righteousness and that they will make good choices that lead them toward God and being an eternal family.

I continue to be super busy with my relief society calling and volunteering at school and just plain trying to take care of the home and family.  It is A LOT of work to cook and clean, do the shopping, and maintain a semblance of order in the home.  There are always parts I want to do better and so many things that go undone each day.  But I have a goal this year to be happier and treat my family better--especially Scott--even when I am lacking in my job as housekeeper/cook/etc.  We have so many blessings I should not be unhappy.

From Scott:
I'm excited to build a multitude of memories through fun family adventures throughout the year.

From Eric:
What are you excited about for this new year?
That I'm turning 7.  I had a great experience on my first class of having Brother Simmons as my new teacher today.  And that we could have such great friends in Noah and Max.  And I know I'm going to have a great time being a kid.

From Rubie:
What are you excited about for this new year?
I'm excited about my birthday coming up that I'm turning 6.  I'm grateful for my new teachers the Durtschi's and the Pardew's.  And I like my friends.  I know the Church is true and I love my family and I know that they love me too.  I like getting presents on my birthday and Christmas too.

From Sam:
Nuhhhhhhhh!!!!  (With such intensity that the blood vessels in his forehead pop out and turn purple in a V shape from the front of each eyebrow up to his hairline, causing his mother to exclaim in wonder if he is ok.)  Ooooh!  Uh oh! Uh oh, uh oh.  Mamamama.  Giggles, claps, and laughs.

No comments: