Tuesday, April 10, 2012

On my own

Yesterday morning Rubie had a dance class.  There is no where to sit and watch so it is boring for Eric.  I called the neighbors, Christine George, who has a son, Riley, Eric's age to see if he could go play.  When it was time to go I told Eric he could just run up to Riley's on his own.  He looked at me a little surprised.  "I can?!"  He asked.  I asked if he knew which house was theirs.  He said I think so but I told him the house number which he repeated over and over.  I heard him run upstairs and tell Rubie that he could walk up the street to Riley's house all by himself, without me.  "I can do!  I can do it!"  

It is interesting that it usually takes me telling and encouraging Eric before he will do things on his own.  As he does them it builds his confidence.  Rubie on the other hand, tells me what she can do.   Often she becomes frustrated and angry at not being able to do something but won't ask for help.  I try to let her know it is okay to ask for help when we need it.  It also makes her feel good when she can accomplish something on her own.  But I am usually telling her what not to do.

No comments: