Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Red Rock Relay

September 4th and 5th I had the opportunity to participate in the Red Rock Relay. The Red Rock Relay was 180 mile race with a 12 person team through the red rock country of Brian Head, Cedar Canyon, Kolob, Zion, and Snow Canyon in St. George. I was part of the team Rooster Running. Andy Gartz was our captain and the team was named after his new restaurant in downtown Provo, "Rooster." I was runner # 10. I had a blast with our team. In our van was Courtney Gartz, Andy Gartz, David Gartz, and Emily(joined the team Friday morning, staying at same hotel as the Gartz' and had a chance meeting), along with Connie and Bethany Gartz as support and volunteers. I had so much fun participating that Scott and I are going to join the team next year.


Team 1's van.
At the transition from van 1 to van 2 up Cedar Canyon. Neil ended and Emily began running.




These 3 pictures show the beginning of the section named Red Diablo or the Devil's stairmaster. David, Andy, and myself each had a leg to run in this section. The road rises several thousand feet in only a few miles. I had the last leg of this section, the last 3 miles.
This is the overlook where my leg began.
Waiting for David to finish and I will start running.

Beginning my run.

Up, and up, and up the mountain I go.

Sprinting to the transition. That wasn't so bad. I passed 5 other runners (who were actually walking).
Elevating my feet after the run. Courtney insisted that it speeds recovery. She was right. I try to do it after all my runs now.

At the second transition from van 1 to van 2 at Kolob Reservoir. Courtney came in to finish and Aaron went running out.

Somewhere in the back country of Zion National Park. These are the members of Van 2.


Getting ready for my midnight run. My second leg was at midnight around Sand Hollow Reservoir. It was a very fun leg to run. It was so dark. A full moon did come peaking out from behind the clouds a few times. There were thunder and lightning storms going on around us in the distance. It made the run very exciting.

The marks on our calves show the legs we run. Two are colored in showing that I have completed two legs and have two or 1 1/2 to go. One of our runners was unable to make it and so those legs were split between some of us in the van. I took half of one of those legs. Here I'm getting ready to take over for Andy and begin my final leg from Vejo to Snow Canyon. In the background you can see one of the BYU triathlon club runners. We have been around this team for most of the race. They ended up taking first place.

I have completed all my run. I had much better running time than I expected. It was so much fun. At this point I'm still wired. Later the exhaustion sets in.

This is where the team gathers and we all run to the finish together. Thanks for the great memories team Rooster!!

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Jen, you amaze me! You are seriously my hero. Way to go!