Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Friends, Family, Funeral, a Drip

Friday, the 8th, I attended a funeral with my Dad.  Earlier in the week my mom called to tell me that Uncle Jim and Aunt Jean's son, Ron, had passed away.  I didn't know Ron. He and his family had only recently moved to Utah from California.  Dad wouldn't tell mom if he would attend the funeral or not so she wanted me to go with her.  I initially told her I wouldn't be able to because the kids all had swim lessons and I didn't know how to make that work.  When I told Scott he offered to take the kids to their swim lessons and watch them until we got back.  It then turned out that Ben and Cassie both needed to work so mom couldn't come to the funeral.  So Dad came and picked me up and we went together.  I am very glad that I got to go with him.  When Scott and I were first married we lived in Jim and Jean's ward, then when we moved to Lloyd and Carolyn's we were still in their stake.  I got pretty close to them.  Even before we were married Jim and Jean always invited me to attend some of the Utah Valley Symphony performances with them.  Jean was on the symphony guild.  One of Jim's nephews wives played in the symphony.  Jean has had dementia the last few years and does not know what is going on most of the time.  Their son Ron, also had this same vascular dementia.  He had been diagnosed with it 7 years ago.  One reason I was so glad to be there was to meet so may of Dad's cousins on the Dunford side that I had never met.  The Dunford's are a fun bunch.  They are a little wild and crazy and adventurous.  C.J. and Joann showed up too.  The service was long, each of Ron and Cindy's children spoke, a son-in-law and an uncle and there were a couple music numbers.  The Dunford's have a look and I could see Grandma Helen in them.  We really missed her being there.  She is doing better from her fall a couple months ago, but traveling and walking around is still too tiring.  Along with the funeral I also enjoyed spending some time with my Dad.  It's nice to visit with him and also hear about some of his memories with his cousins.

After I got back from the funeral the kids and I went to visit Mandy and her family in South Weber.  Sarah and her boys were there and we had planned to spend the afternoon together.  I have not seen Sarah for a couple months.  Eric has been wanting to see Noah and Max, especially before they move to Cedar City next month.  Sarah has been injured and has not been training and racing.  She has been traveling and staying busy though.  We have all been busy with summer activities.  I love spending the afternoon at Mandy's with her and her family.  She is such a great mom and puts her all into it.  I always feel rejuvenated and inspired from spending time with her.

Also Friday night Russell, Linda, and Dellitt arrived back in Utah from Virginia.  They are finally home.  Andy and Scott went and spent some time with them.

Saturday morning I got to go on a trail run with Sunny, Natalie, and Kim and Jon Jonas.  We ran a trail all around Suncrest (Corner Canyon, Potato Hill).  Loved it!!  Saturday we spent time doing chores and yard work, guitar lesson and Brain Balance.  That evening we had a party at Scott's cousin, Cheryl's house.  She had her daughters put on a "Drip", it's a bridal shower where the groom is invited so couples, not just ladies, are invited.  They did the party to a carnival theme.  It was really creative and cute.

We are going into Scott's 2nd week working from home.  He is pitching in so much more around the house.  I'm so glad about that.  It makes such a difference for me to have some one else try to keep up with chores and the work around the house.  Of course I don't carry the burden of a job and I do feel super guilty about that.

No comments: