Monday, June 29, 2015

End of June

Last week we celebrated Father's Day.  Saturday afternoon we went to Ben and Cassie's to eat and play.  We had a nice time.  We really enjoy going there to visit with my family.  Sunday we didn't do anything special for Scott.  We had cards and a nice dinner, but Scott just wanted to buy his own stuff.  That's fine.  We were just hanging out on Sunday but the power went out a few times.  It continued late into the night.  It went off again on Monday.  We finally found out there was a bad transformer or something like that.  The city/power company was working to get it back on.  We continued with just normal summer stuff.  Rubie is taking a cooking class and gymnastics at the Rec Center.  Eric started guitar lessons with brother George Wilkes.  We are trying to play with friends.  I don't know why there isn't just kids out all over the neighborhood all day long.  If it was a quieter street I would just send my kids out more, but the traffic makes it kind of dangerous.  I struggle with trying to get the kids to actually do some chores or work around the house.  Eric is good at doing what he is asked.  Rubie is difficult.  If it is her idea she will do it.  But when I ask her to do something we always end up in a big fight.  I hate fighting with any of the kids and I don't know what consequence to give.  The consequences are hard for me because I hate enforcing stupid consequences that are more of a punishment to me than to her, and that are not a natural consequence of what she is refusing to do.

Saturday I finally did an actual real bike ride.  Even though I was by myself.  Scott stayed home with the children so that I could bike up over the Alpine Loop and then go participate in a service project.  Our Laurel class decided to use this Saturday morning service as our weekly activity.  The Swenson's came into YW's to ask if anyone would help stuff brochures for their mailings.  Since Rose and Fiona would be doing it anyway, the class decided to use that as the activity.  Even though there was only Melissa, Elise, and Rose present in the class on that Sunday to decide.  Elise knew she wouldn't be there, so her vote didn't count, Melissa was unsure, and Rose was a for sure.  It seemed to me that Julie went along with it and decided to make that the activity.  I was unhappy about having an activity like that on a Saturday morning, but went willingly if I could bike to it.  It turned out to be okay and we spent just under 2 hours stuffing the brochures and I made some new friends.

This week we are looking forward to camping as a family at Payson Lakes Wednesday - Saturday.  Saturday is the 4th and we will be joining my family at Ben and Cassie's again and then Jared and Chantel are here to bless their baby on Sunday afternoon.

No comments: