Monday, August 5, 2013

Eric's talk on Prayer

On Sunday, 4 August, Rubie recited/read the 9th Article of Faith and Eric gave the following talk on prayer.

In the Book of Mormon are stories that teach me when I have a problem or something I want to happen, I can pray about it to Heavenly Father.

One story that teaches me to pray is about Nephi.  The Lord told Nephi to build a ship.  He had to take his family to a new land.  But Nephi did not know how to build a ship and did not have the tools he needed. Nephi prayed.  Heavenly Father told him how to make tools and showed him how to build a ship.  The scripture says, "And I, Nephi, did go into the mount oft, and I did pray oft unto the Lord: wherefore the Lord showed unto me great things."

Heavenly Father showed Nephi where to find ore to make tools to build the ship.  Then Nephi got to work building the ship.  This story teaches me that even though we pray about things Heavenly Father still wants us to learn to work to make them happen.  Last year in school I had to memorize poems and scriptures to recite in front of my class.  I would pray for Heavenly Father's help to learn and remember the poems.  I prayed that I would not be nervous but would be able to recite the poems well.  I noticed that when I would pray to learn a poem or scripture, I didn't just know it right away.  I still had to work at memorizing it.  I would say it over and over and over to get it stuck in my head.  But I knew that Heavenly Father was helping me.

I try to remember to say me prayers every day and ask for Heavenly Father's help to be good and kind.  I pray with my family to thank Heavenly Father for our blessings and ask Him to keep us safe.

I don't always see answers to my prayers immediately but because I feel good when I pray I know that Heavenly Father answers my prayers.

In Doctrine and Covenants chapter 112, verse 10, we read, "Be thou humble, and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers."

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments: