Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Spirit of America, Grandparents Day, a Baby Shower

This week has been full of activities (as normal).  Scott left Monday morning for Cedar City and St. George for the week.  He returned home on Thursday by dinner time.  ULA has offices/hubs in those places.  I'm not sure how it works but the flight schools are partnered with the colleges and universities of Salt Lake Community College, SUU, and Dixie.  So he spent time there getting to know the operations and people in those spots.

AHS had their annual program this week The Spirit of America.  I have not gone to see it before this year.  It is a first rate program.  For being a school play/program it is very well done.  The program sets out the founding of America for religious freedom and starts with the pre-earth life and moves through the ages and years to the 1st vision of Joseph Smith.  It is a very good program.  They start the beginning with a tribute to the armed forces by singing all their songs and having veterans and military stand and sing their song.  It's moving and inspiring.  The 2nd graders learn songs and some recitations to sing and perform at the beginning of it.  There is a dress rehearsal during school which is when all the kids see the program, then it is performed on Friday morning for all those at Grandparents day to see, and then Friday night there was a performance.

My Dad actually came to participate in Grandparents Day.  I almost didn't ask him.  I thought of all the reasons my Dad could give of why he wouldn't want to come down and then even if he did agree to come down why he wouldn't like it and on and on.  But finally I just sent him an email and asked him to come.  I told him how much the kids would enjoy having him here and that I had already thought of all the reasons why he wouldn't want to come down but I still was giving him the opportunity and he could decide.  He agreed to come.  He showed up Friday morning about 7:40 am and took the kids to school.  He went to Rubie's class first where they did a craft.  Painting their foot to make a snowman out of their foot print, take a picture, and eat a treat.  I then had Eric go to Rubie's class and get grandpa to come to his class where Eric interviewed him then helped him get to the North Auditorium for the program.  I invited him to come in when he brought the kids home to have lunch with us but he declined saying he had to get home.  But he seemed genuine in saying that he really enjoyed the time with the kids and was glad that he came.  He thought the program was really well done.  It is kind of long and I thought that too.  As it does got close to 2 hours.  But he came.

Yesterday there was a baby shower for Chantel.  It was hosted by her cousin who lives in Bluffdale.  I took Rubie with me even though I know it's not that fun for her.  Cassie brought Heidi and Meja too.  The cousin's home was so beautiful and I know I shouldn't want so much, I try not to covet, or be sinful about it, but I would absolutely love that home or one similar.  I don't know if it's sinful or wrong of me to want a home so bad that is like that.  It's just that it was beautiful and big, but not too big and fancy.  It was comfortable, but really nice and just made for a family.  The shower was so nice.  We were there over 3 hours.  We had fun eating and visiting and talking about babies and things as Chantel opened the gifts.

Scott and the boys stayed here.  Eric spent the basically the whole day with Brock. He came while Eric was doing some chores and they played all day together.  He was here while we played games and had pizza and watched a movie as a family.  Sometimes I think he just wants to be here because of the family.  I think just Sophie was home with him all day.  I think sometimes Sophie doesn't want to have to be in charge of him all day, but his family isn't around.  And the kids do love him.  Samuel actually cuddled with him a couple times while watching the movie.

No comments: